[Samba] Possibly a bug

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 13 23:22:00 GMT 2002

Marcelo Paternot Rodrigues wrote:

> I believe that I've found a bug on Samba 2.2.3a. Sure, there is the 2.2.5
> version out there, but reading the changelog I couldn't find something that
> looked like what I've found.

Changelogs certainly don't incidate all changes, and certainly don't
convey the kind of detail you would require for that kind of assertion.
We mainly list changes that we *expect* to be user-visible.

That said, you have a *very* interesting little problem here...

> Problem is:
>
> Some files (very few of them, about 0,5%) are created, with 2 another copies.
> The file witch would be the real one is perfect. And we got "for free" 2
> corrupted copies of it, with the name mangled.
> So, say we copy the file "testfile.txt". We should end with just one file, but
> what we got is something like
>
> testfile.txt    -> This one is perfect
> tes~1.txt       -> This one is useless (about 1 k in size)
> tes2~1.txt      -> This one is useless too.

Mangling is a mess in Samba 2.2, particularly < 2.2.5.  It would be
interesting to see if the new code in 2.2.5 (activated by 'mangling
method = hash2' in your smb.conf) helps.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net