[Samba] Win2k explorer.exe dies when dealing with printers

Llu'is Batlle lluisbatlle at tavil.net
Tue Aug 13 23:17:00 GMT 2002

Hi there.

I've been some days dealing with printing problems in Win2k clients, having
a Samba 2.2.5 parched with "parse_sec.patch" as a printer server.

When I try to print anything, explorer.exe dies. Sometimes dies spoolsv.exe,
or sometimes all the system locks (it may be because explorer do not restart).

It happens to all my Win2k clients with Service Pack 2, and only when using
HP drivers made by HP. If I use HP printer drivers made by Microsoft, I don't
have any problem. I also have an IBM Infoprint 12, and it doesn't give any
problem with its drivers.
The problem is related to HP drivers (latest versions).

The HP printers I deal with are:
- Two HP DeskJet 1220C
- Two HP DeskJet 920C
- One HP BusinessInkJet 2230
- One HP DesignJet 750C+

I just read in the archives that the patch from Jerry Carter (HP) could help,
but it just doesn't. :((

Here goes my 'smb.conf' file:

[global]
	netbios name = CHAPULIN
	workgroup = LEMMINGS
	password server = HOUSTON

	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	log level = 2

	; security settings
	security = server

	; encrypted passwords are a requirement for a PDC
	encrypt passwords = no

	guest account = smb_guest

	######### Printing
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	printing = cups
	printer admin = root, @ntadmin

########## Printer drivers

[print$]
	path = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers
	guest ok = no
	browseable = yes
	read only = no
	write list = @ntadmin, root

########## Shared resources

[jarjarbinks]
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool
	printer name = jarjarbinks
	browseable = yes
	available = yes
	guest ok = no
	writable = no
	printable = yes
#	default devmode = yes
# For debug purposes:
	print command = /bin/cat %s > /tmp/printlog-%p; rm %s
;	print command = lpr -o raw -r -P %p %s
	write list = root, @ntadmin

[amidala]
	path = /usr/local/samba/var/spool
	printer name = amidala
	browseable = yes
	available = yes
	guest ok = no
	writable = no
	printable = yes
#	default devmode = yes
# For debug purposes:
	print command = /bin/cat %s > /tmp/printlog-%p; rm %s
;	print command = lpr -o raw -r -P %p %s
	write list = root, @ntadmin

[tmp]
	comment = Temporary file space
	path = /tmp