[Samba] Problem with samba and screen saver

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 13 23:03:01 GMT 2002

sheldona wrote:

> I am running:
> Samba 2.2.4 client
> On my workstation Red Hat version 7.2
> KDE desktop
> Connecting to our Microsoft network.  This works fine.
>
> However when I turn on the screen saver with password and the screen locks I
> cannot get back in (none of my passwords work, including the root password

This will never work, becouse xscreensaver is running as 'you', and you
don't have the right to read /etc/shadow.  (This would make it compeatly
useless - or require setuid screensavers - except that the is a small
setuid helper inside pam_unix that allows you to check your own password
only).

> and I must use the power switch to restart the workstation).  Does anyone
> know what password the screen saver is validating against and if this still
> works with Samba enabled (in particular when authenticating to an NT
> domain).

Look into the PAM configuration.  You probably have pam_winbind specifed
only in one of the PAM files.  Either also specifiy it in
/etc/pam.d/xscreensaver, or /etc/pam.d/system-auth.(which covers the
whole system, in the default configuration)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net