[Samba] Pause in access of realtime file transfers when printing

Zieba Pete Pete at Fenton100.org
Tue Aug 13 18:08:00 GMT 2002

Hello,
I'm running Slack 8.1 and Samba 2.2.4. The mp3 I'm playing off of the
server, or anything else realtime for that matter, pauses when a print job
is sent to the box. I'm printing to a small cheap print server that does
lpr. The pause seems to occur when my linux box sends the job to the actual
print server (by the looks of my switch activity) hanging off of my printer,
so the problem seems to be related to lpd daemon, however, I do not
understand why lpd would create a problem for samba when the processor usage
does not seem to rise during the send to the print server. Problem has also
occured in Slackware 8.0. I'm sorry if I left anything off, I'm relatively
new to Linux. Any ideas would really be appreciated . . . Thanks !

Specs:
PII 450MHz
160 MB RAM
Slackware 8.1 - samba-2.24-i386-3

smb.conf:
[colorgecko]
    create mode=1777
    printable=yes
    path=/vol3/spool/hp2000
    writable=yes
    public=yes
    print command=/usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s
;****END OF SMB.CONF****

printcap:
colorgecko:lp=/dev/null:rm=10.0.0.12:rp=PORT1:sd=/vol3/spool/hp2000:sh
;****END OF PRINTCAP****

lpd.conf:
force_localhost@
;****END OF LPD.CONF****