[Samba] Windows XP domain logons with Samba as PDC - trust relationship problems

Chris Nolan chris at itoperations.com.au
Tue Aug 13 15:50:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I have setup Samba 2.2.3a on Mandrake 8.2 and have domain logons for my Windows 2000 Pro box working perfectly (although I've had to move the profile path to inside each user's home directory to avoid "Access is Denied" errors during logon - suggestions welcome!).

Whenever I try to join with one of my XP boxen though, the domain joining stage works up until it comes time to add accounts to the local machine for users on the domain.

The domain is called COMOCON and the username I'm trying to add to the local machine so that the network user can access it is chris. When I try to add the user COMOCON/chris I get:

"The trust relationship between the primary and this workstation has failed."

To eliminate a few things:

* The 2000 box logs on without a problem. This (hopefully) eliminates problems with machine accounts being created correctly.
* Machine accounts are created automatically by the "add user script" parameter.
* I have applied the Windows XP registry patch that is distributed with the docs for this version of Samba.

On another Windows XP box I have here, when I get to the step in the wizard where you are asked about your machine name and machine domain, I get a funky error concerning DNS and WINS (saying that the domain name appears to be a NetBIOS name). On the Windows XP machines, the TCP/IP properties have been specifically told where the WINS server is (ie. The Samba box) after initially not doing so. The 2000 box has had nothing done to it's default network configuration.

All the machines on the LAN have static IPs and point to external DNS servers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris