[Samba] Migrating NT files (with users/groups) to Linux Samba with ACL kernel patch.

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Tue Aug 13 08:45:02 GMT 2002

Whoa.  Long subject - still, it basically says it all:

I have an NT PDC and an NT fileserver.  I've also got a Linux box
compiled with the ACL patches from acl.bestbits.at and I've got Samba
2.2.5 (--with-acl-support) configured to be a PDC on that box.  I've put
all my machines and users in LDAP and the Linux box' PAM configuration
is also told to look for passwords/users in LDAP.

The setup seem to be working exactly how I expect it to.  Sweet.

I want to move all the files currently on the NT fileserver over to the
Linux Samba server.  Fair enough, I hear you say, just copy the files.
Well, if I do so, users/groups from NT aren't preserved on the files I
copy.  They are now owned (and no others have any permissions on it) by
the user I logged in as.

Is there a way I can preserve users and groups when transferring files
from NT to Linux Samba?  I'd hate to manually change the permissions on
several hundreds of thousands of files.  ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Erik.