[Samba] Why does this logon-script not work under Win9x ?

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Aug 13 05:31:02 GMT 2002

--On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 11:37 AM +0200 Harry Rüter
<harry_rueter at gmx.de> wrote:

>> The usual problem when a script runs under an NT based OS and not a DOS
>> based OS is line termination. It seems that NT based systems are less
>> sensitive to proper DOS line termination than DOS based systems.
>
> This is a problem often, but as the script is written by a shell-script
> at netlogon, i always let it do a unix2dos to have the correct line
> termination.

This sounds like an unecessary step; why not have the shell script add the
proper newline/carriage return, rather than having the extra step of
running unix2dos each and every time?  The perl script I am using adds \r\n
to each line of the dynamically created file... wouldn't there be an
equivalent in a shell script (if you couldn't tell, I do not do shell
scripts, though I know I should).

- john