[Samba] Word and samba

Pascal pascal at vmfacility.fr
Tue Aug 13 03:33:00 GMT 2002

Le Lundi 3 Janvier 2000 22:39, Peter Barker a écrit :
> Greetings Group
>
> I think the Word crashing problem is quite common and does not confine
> itself to Samba as PDC. Running Word with any file open on a Samba server
> seems to invite trouble and file trashing.
>
> This seems to more of a problem with Win2000 and XP than Win9X and NT. I
> suspect that Micorsoft have "improved" the code to "optimise" performance
> for Micorsoft servers...

Maybe the behaviour of these new OS has changed from the old ones, but have to
tried samba 2.0.7 instead of samba 2.2.x and did you see a change ... ?

samba 2.2 has apparently generalized its way to store internal stuff in tdb
database... since this change we all experienced lots of freezen lock
problems etc... I tend to think we have to look more closely at his new code
in samba. It might be more stressed under win2k, xp / office than in other
conditions.

Try to open a unix fifo file for exemple in explorer with samba 2.2.5 ... wopp
instant locking.tdb lock  :)

debug smbd processes for your client (yes there will be several smbd for the
same client after a couple minutes) with strace and guess what happened...

Pascal