[SAMBA] Samba/Linux - Password synchronization problem

Slawek W to-slawek at wp.pl
Mon Aug 12 22:57:00 GMT 2002

hi, friends!

i have samba on mandrake.

i want to set encrypted passwords for win98 winNT clients, and
also i want to set passwords synchronization to automatically
update a user's regular Unix password when the encrypted samba
password is changed on the system.
i can change user's passwords for samba but synchronization
doesn't work.

here are some lines from my smb.conf and 'testparm'. what causes
the ERROR ???

Load smb config files from smb.conf
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[test1]"
Processing section "[test2]"
Processing section "[test3]"
Processing section "[samba]"
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: the 'passwd chat' script [*passw* %o\n *new*passw* %n\n
*new*passw* %n\n *success*] expects to use the old plaintext
password via the %o substitution. With encrypted passwords this
is not possible.

;
; ---------------------------------------------------------
; [globals]      Security and Domain Logon Services
; ---------------------------------------------------------
;
    security = user
;
    encrypt passwords = yes
;
    password level = 1
;
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
;
    unix password sync = yes
;
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;
    passwd chat = *passw* %o\n *new*passw* %n\n *new*passw* %
n\n
*success*
;
    passwd chat debug = yes
;
    log level = 100
;
    guest account = nobody
;

i am sure that 'passwd chat' is ok. for my mandrake.

slawek