[Samba] File Not Found Errors

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Aug 12 07:59:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Lee Leahu wrote:

> When I save my files from my Windows workstation onto my Windows
> server via my Linux workstation, I am constantly getting "404 File
> Not Found" errors for pages that I just saved.  I end up having to
> re-save the file several times before the web server sees and
> processes the file.

Most networked file systems doesn't really like it when you do:

machine A ---> machine B ---> machine C

I have seen a similar problem with some ftp server (warftpd?) and IIS
(and/or frontpage). I believe this was a known problem with how warftp
created its files - but I don't have any details.

smbfs uses an old SMB to create and open files. You could try this patch
for 2.4.19 that changes this to use a more recent operation (and a lot of
other things).

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.19-rc1-ALL.patch.gz

I am interested in your feedback on this. I know another nutcase^Wperson
that does something like this, and for him this is finally working ok
(Hi Jochen :). But he may have hacked samba a bit too.

/Urban