[Samba] Update -- Username to SID translation on Security Tab

James S. Martin james.martin at digex.com
Mon Aug 12 06:47:01 GMT 2002

Below is a message I sent out on Friday..  I've noticed something even
stranger now-- if I attempt to remove the SID from the permissions
window and hit "Apply" it dissappears for a moment and comes right back.
  Also, If I remove it, then manually add myself to the permissions
file, it shows up fine, but after I hit Apply, it goes back to the SID.
  So I have two problems here, the Samba server doesn't seem to be
translating the SID to domain username(but doesn't have a problem with
the groups), and it also is not letting me change the permissions on a
file which I own.  Any ideas?

James

I'm running Samba/Winbind 2.2.5.  I have the box joined into my NT
Domain and everything is peachy.  I copied a file from my Windows box to
the Samba and then clicked on properties and checked the permissions.
First off, it took a while to retrieve the permissions, secondly the
last name on the list was something like S1-2343-23423232-81238912389,
which I believe is a SID.  Now I logged onto the box with a domain
account that the Samba server belongs to.  Why isn't the permission list
for that file mapping to the username of the account I logged in as? Why
is it using the SID?

Thanks,

James