[Samba] Samba Print Driver Errors

Sorisio,Chris ChrisSorisio at PeakTechnical.com
Sat Aug 10 05:31:43 GMT 2002

Gerald,

Thanks for responding.  I must have missed it during the chaos of the week.
I've managed to adjust for this problem and now have my account associated
with root.  I hope you can help with my current problem, as it is driving me
batty.

In short:  while I can upload printer drivers, I cannot associate the
printer with them.  If I attempt it via NT properies, it errors out with
"Unable to change to the specified driver, original settings will be
restored" after uploading the drivers.

If I try it via the command line (rpcclient on the Samba server) I get a
debug looking something like this:

(cmd:  rpcclient -d 10 ssupp001 -U root -c "setdriver P38HP5SI \"HP LaserJet
5Si\"")

000018 spoolss_io_r_open_printer_ex
    000018 smb_io_pol_hnd printer handle
        0018 data1: 00000000
        001c data2: 00000002
        0020 data3: 0000
        0022 data4: 0000
        0024 data5: 94 09 50 3d 0b 22 00 00
    002c status code: WERR_ACCESS_DENIED

or

000000 smb_io_rpc_hdr rpc_hdr
    0000 major     : 05
    0001 minor     : 00
    0002 pkt_type  : 02
    0003 flags     : 03
    0004 pack_type0: 10
    0005 pack_type1: 00
    0006 pack_type2: 00
    0007 pack_type3: 00
    0008 frag_len  : 001c
    000a auth_len  : 0000
    000c call_id   : 00000009
000010 smb_io_rpc_hdr_resp rpc_hdr_resp
    0010 alloc_hint: 00000004
    0014 context_id: 0000
    0016 cancel_ct : 00
    0017 reserved  : 00
rpc_api_pipe: len left: 0 smbtrans read: 28
rpc_api_pipe: fragment first and last both set
000018 spoolss_io_r_setprinter
    0018 status: WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
SetPrinter call failed!

I greatly appreciate any help; this is driving me batty.  It /appears/ all
permissions are set correctly, but perhaps something is not documented or I
am too fuzzy to see it clearly?

Thanks,

Chris