[Samba] Permission nightmares

Gene Huft Gene.Huft at ci.seattle.wa.us
Thu Aug 8 11:50:03 GMT 2002

SAMBA Gurus, I'm sure this has been experienced & addressed by
somebody.....but here's the issue:

Running version 2.2.2 on Solaris 2.8.....some users who try to copy a
file from a Novell share into a mapped Unix SAMBA share (copy, drag &
drop via windows explorer) cannot - they get this error message:

"Cannot copy geology: Access is denied."
"Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
not currently in use."

User ends up with a 0 byte file in the destination directory, which is
the SAMBA share on the Unix box:

drwxrwxr-x   2 gilsonm  dwu          512 Aug  8 10:19 testdir
# cd testdir
# ls -lArt
total 0
-rwxrw-r--   1 gilsonm  dwu            0 Aug  8 10:19 geology.apr

What's weird is the directory that's being copied TO was created by the
same user who's doing the copying!

I've changed the create mask to 777 & that actually  helped this
behavior for some users....however, it still dogs others!  I can't quite
figure this thing out!   In this example, if you look at the permissions
on the Novell side, of the file being copied, the user has all Novell
file rights execept S (supervisor) and A (Assign Rights?)

Any suggestions as to what I can check/modify/alter/reconfigure/blow
up???

Thanks,

--G