[Samba] Netbios Ping in Solaris??

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Aug 8 09:59:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 18:48, Steve Malkos wrote:
> Does anyone know how to resolve netbios names in Solaris?

Can't speak to Solaris but ping is not a netbios utility. Linux boxes
with Samba that I've worked act like older Windows boxes in the sense
that IP resolution and netbios resolution are pretty much separate. From
my limited knowledge my guess is tha you will unlikely find it difficult
to pass netbios resolution to IP utilities.

> I need to be able to ping any windows box from my Sun Solaris 8 box that appears on my network.  Is that possible?

Use the IP address.
Use a hosts file.
Use DNS.

Chris