[Samba] Connectivity problems...

Stephen C. Biggs yyyyy50 at hotpop.com
Thu Aug 8 04:50:03 GMT 2002

NT4 SP6a, Redhat Linux 7.3

Trying to logon to my NT box from Linux was giving me:
passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(827)
 smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth_failed - Rejecting User xxxx !

... in /var/log/samba/log.smbd

This is even though I have "obey pam restrictions = No" since I say "encrypt passwords = yes".

For some strange reason, after I set "password server = <NT box>" and "security = server", a
loooong time afterwards, I was able to connect and map drives from my NT box to Linux.

I do NOT want to do this, I would rather have "security = user".

When I try (as root - the only way allowed):
# mount -t smbfs -o=<valid NT user>,password=<correct password> //<NT box>/<share name>
/mnt/<share name>

I get:
7681: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

I traced this connection using Ethereal, and it is trying to connect as <DOMAIN NAME>\ROOT
instead of the <valid NT user>!

Also, when I try as the same valid NT user logged on to Linux to do:
$ smbclient -L <NT box>

... giving the right password for the user gives me, right away:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

... instead, if I just hit enter, I start getting the list after it says "Anonymous login successful", but
right after getting the Share list text column headers, it says:
"Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

Please let me know what sort of configs I need to provide.  Tearing my hair out, here.