[Samba] Samba Server not found through broadcasting

msiemeri at t-online.de msiemeri at t-online.de
Thu Aug 8 04:27:02 GMT 2002

Hello!

I'm not a newbie to Linux but to Samba and Linux<->Windows networking,
so -naturally- I encountered some problems.
First let's start with my configuration:
I'm running RedHat 7.3, Samba 2.2.3a and Windows 2000.
The Linux server's name is hilbert, my Windows machine is igor.
And this is my smb.conf

[global]
workgroup = TEST
netbios name = hilbert
interfaces = 192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0
interfaces = eth0
security = user
server string = Samba Test
encrypt passwords = yes
preferred master = no

[public]
path = /tmp
read only = no

The problem is, I can see the samba server in Windows Network
Environment, but I'm unable to access the server (Error Code 53).
I worked through the troubleshooting document I found on samba.org:

- I'm able to ping igor and hilbert
- I'm able to nmblookup -U 192.168.1.3 hilbert
- I'm able to nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 igor
BUT I'm unable to nmblookup -B 192.168.1.255 hilbert.
I get a "name query failed to find name hilbert"

So I assume something's wrong with broadcasting.
I've skimmed through some newsgroup articles but I can't find a
solution.
So, maybe one of you may help me?

TIA,

Matthias Siemering