[Samba] domain logons - help

David Chandraratnam d.chandraratnam at labstaff.usyd.edu.au
Thu Aug 8 03:00:02 GMT 2002

Trey, the reason i want Plain text passwords is

It is already installed, with plain text passwords and i cannot find the mksmbpasswd.sh anywhere

in order to do the 'cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/smbpasswd '(the place i want the smbpasswd)
I do not know if it is solaris thing, but as i am using 2.2.5 and there is no where on the web that says
here is where you  get mksmbpasswd.sh . I am stymied.

If i could find this mksmbpasswd.sh thing it would probably be no trouble at all to get encrypted passwords to
work. Although, if there is a way to get domain logons with plain text passwords it would save me a lot of time and
a lot of work and most importantly I would not have to get weekend-supervised access to building to change
the windows registry from enable plaintext passwd (1) to (0)

The other solution being give everyone, using the machines a account on the machines is not really appropriate
as it will mean i will have to change the machine everytime they forget their password or the like (known to happen)
or when a new person comes giving them access on all the machines (problem we have a high turnover of casual staff who use the machines and then their accounts have to be removed for security/privacy reasons.

Thus i would like to get the whole domain logons
or just be able to do the passwd and smbpasswd command when it is required
not move from machine to machine (24, greatly distributed) for every casual user
i thought of have a huge amount of temp files , but the passwords would have to chnge for security of information reasons

So the easiest solution would be to get me a mksmbpasswd.sh but this is not the case, after a few days look for it.
so finally HELP!

Thanks

Dave