[Samba] Problems joining NT domain

Joseph Martin jmartin at jubileetech.com
Wed Aug 7 13:21:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

I am having problems joining a Linux computer to an NT domain. Our office is
still running NT 4.0, we have not upgraded to Windows 2000. The domain is
JUBILEE. The computer I am attempting to add to the domain is LX-IS5. The
PDC is HQ-NTDC3.

I am running samba 2.2.3a-6 on RedHat 7.3. This is the procedure I followed:

1) Shutdown the samba server
2) Edit smb.conf to add/modify the netbios name, password server, workgroup,
and security settings. (Security = domain)
3) remove MACHINE.SID, secrets.tdb
4) smbpasswd -j JUBILEE -r HQ-NTDC3

This results in the following error message:

cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
HQ-NTDC3. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
2002/08/07 13:55:26 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain JUBILEE.
Unable to join domain JUBILEE.

If, instead, I use this smbpasswd command:
smbpasswd -j JUBILEE -r hq-ntdc3 -Ushadow

I get this error:

error creating domain user: NT_STATUS_INVALID_DOMAIN_ROLE
Unable to join domain JUBILEE.

I get these errors whether or not the computer has been added to the domain
using "Server Manager for Domains". If anyone can help me, I would be most
appreciative.

thank-you,
joseph

Jubilee Tech International