[Samba] Culling dead smbd's?

Vicky Clarke vclarke at frontier.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 08:42:02 GMT 2002

I seem to be having a problem whereby every time a user fails to
authenticate with Samba, smbd stops responding to that particular client
and has to be restarted.

Apart from 'what on earth's going wrong with my authentication', there are
two things I'd like to know: firstly, is it the main smbd/all smbd's which
lock, and secondly, if not is there any way (on SuSE Linux) to hunt down
the individual smbd which has locked and kill it off?

Vicky

(smb.conf included for information)

[global]

;        netbios name = SAMBA
         workgroup = DOMAIN1

# The following is excessively paranoid, but until a solid solution to the
netwo
rk browsing and reliable
# mapping of network drives issue is arrived at we'll leave it be.

         domain master = no
         local master = no
         preferred master = no

         browseable = yes
         os level = 2
         wins server = 172.17.1.2
         hosts allow = 172.17.1.2 172.17.3. 127.
         interfaces = 172.17.1.3/255.255.0.0
         encrypt passwords = yes
         guest account = Nobody
         map to guest = Bad User
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
         delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
         unix password sync = yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = "New password:*" %n\n "Re-enter new password:*" %n\n
"Pass
word changed*"

# This tells samba to write log files per machine.
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m
# This sets an alternate log level. Default is 2.
         log level = 10

# Uncomment the following, if you want to use an existing NT-Server to
# authenticate users, but don't forget that you also have to create them
# locally!
         security = domain
         password server = 172.17.1.2
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

         local master = No

         interfaces = lo eth0

         wins support = no
         # 'yes' doesn't work; 'no' does work

         wins server = 172.17.1.2

         character set = ISO8859-15
         client code page = 850

         veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
[vicky]
         comment = Linux home directory for Vicky
         browseable = no
         valid users = vclarke root Administrator
         path = /home/vclarke
         read only = no
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 0700

[homes]
         comment = User home directory
         path = /share/pchomes/%S
         read only = No
         create mask = 0640
         directory mask = 0750
         browseable = No
         writeable = yes
#       nt acl support = yes

# Create a general-purpose shared directory everyone can use

[art]
         comment = Art directories
         path= /share/art
         writeable = yes