[Samba] still winbind! plz...

Antonio Nikolic antonio.nikolic at ibk-consult-gmbh.de
Wed Aug 7 08:24:02 GMT 2002

Hi Matt!

thank you,
I tried the RedHat-sytle system-auth on my pam.d/login file (debian) and it did
not really help me with the security stuff, though another problem has
been fixed (double password-prompts and things like that) - thanx a
lot for that :-] !!

But another thing I found out recently is that there seems to be a
limitation to the username-lenght!! The problem was, that I just could
not log in as "Administrator" or "domaintester" but as "schnulli" or
"tester" it worked fine! I renamed "Adminstrator" to "Administra" and
it worked well (in spite of the "Secret is Bad"-stuff).
Okay, the W2k Domainname is quite long ( 20 characters !!!) so my
guess is, that the combination of both, domainname and username is
truncated before is is sent over the network. One should verify this
by looking into the source, but it would take too long for me to find
out the right piece of code - so maybe a developer would chance to comment
this phenomenon...
Probably this also is the point the "bad-Secret" thing, because
winbindd cannot connect as adminstrator or anything... But why does
then wbinfo -u and login in genereal work?? And why did it then not
work after I secondly renamed "Administra" to "root" and joined the
domain once again and gave wbinfo -A root%... to winbindd?
strangestrangestrangestrange..

The main problem remains: I cannot log on to a samba share as a
domainuser, samba still states it could not fetch trust account for
domain (xy[20charsLong]) and I have the impression it wont do until
wbinfo -t "Secret is OK" [or whatever output which is the opposite
of "Secret is bad" - Never have seen the positive one ;-) ]

My next step will be to set up W2K Domainname to a shorter, more
practical one, but I doubt about it's positive effect on the
problem...

greetings
tony