[Samba] RE: Samba Printing with CUPS

Mark Vodden mark.vodden at clearchannel.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 04:11:02 GMT 2002

Hi again,

Regarding problems of Samba losing association with print drivers after a
reboot, I have found out the following:

I can query the tdb database files in my /var/lock/samba.d with rpcclient
(except the messages.tdb, does anyone know how to query this?).  After I
have added one driver to the machine I can get the following output:

[root at caldera init.d]# rpcclient -U EALINGD+sysmv caldera -c "enumdrivers"
Password:
cmd = enumdrivers

[Windows NT x86]
Printer Driver Info 1:
        Driver Name: [HP LaserJet 4000 Series PS]

This results in the being able to add this printer using the Add Printer
Wizard on windoze clients.  Which is as should happen.  When I reboot the
server this happens:

[root at caldera init.d]# rpcclient -U EALINGD+sysmv caldera -c "enumdrivers"
Password:
cmd = enumdrivers
[root at caldera init.d]#

Indicating there is no longer an association to that driver (and all others)
in the database, despite the drivers still being located on the driver
directory on the machine.  If I restart Samba and Cups it still works fine,
only on reboot does it do this.....  Any ideas?

Thanks very much people,

Mark.