[Samba] Samba and *groan* Windows XP Home problems!

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Wed Aug 7 00:44:06 GMT 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 11:57:03PM -0400, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 17:29, Jay Ts wrote:
>
> > Please correct me if you are sure I'm wrong, but what I read previously
> > -- IIRC -- is that XP Home isn't even as good as Windows 95/98/Me at
> > authenticating in a Windows NT domain environment.
>
> BTW, I just ran across this:
> http://www.ntcompatible.com/article.php?sid=8725&mode=threaded&order=0
>
> Apparently with a proper tweak or two XP Home can join a domain.

Now I wonder if that happens to violate Microsoft's shrink-wrap
license???  Things could get interesting if it didn't!

I did a quick search at the Microsoft website, and it seems that
Windows XP Home cannot join a Windows NT domain (i.e., as a
domain member server).  And on one page, they say:

|| Most larger networks are domain-based. Windows XP Professional is
|| required to access a domain-based network.

However, that was apparently written by the Marketing Department!
I found a page with a perhaps more complete story:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/evaluation/overviews/joindommore.asp

|| Why Windows XP Professional is Best for Domain-Based Networks
|| You can use Windows XP Home Edition to connect to resources in a domain,
|| either on the local network, or via a Remote Access Services (RAS) or virtual
|| private network (VPN) connection; however, with Windows XP Home
|| Edition, you cannot:
|| Be joined to and managed by the domain
|| 	This means any logon scripts, group policies, or software
|| 	distribution by the network administrator over the network
|| 	will not happen on your computer. With Windows XP Professional,
|| 	you can easily join and be managed by the domain.
|| Enter your domain credentials a single time
|| 	This means any time you connect to a file, printer share, e-mail
|| 	account, Web page, etc., you will have to enter your logon and
|| 	password. However, if you connect to the network via RAS, you
|| 	will only have to enter your credentials once. With Windows XP
|| 	Professional, no matter how you connect to your domain-based
|| 	network, you will only have to enter your credentials once.
|| Use advanced security features
|| 	Security features such as IP Security (IPSec) and digital
|| 	certificates may be required in some environments to access
|| 	certain resources.  These features are built into Windows XP
|| 	Professional.

See, it is simple, isn't it? :)

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx
--
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly
confidential and are not intended for the addressee. If you are