[Samba] domain logons - help

David Chandraratnam d.chandraratnam at labstaff.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 6 19:38:02 GMT 2002

Hello

I am running a windows 98 network with plain text passwords.
I currently have to install 20 windows 2k machines to the network , is there a way to do this with plain text paswords , but still enable me to have domain logons.

as if i have to unenable plain text passwords on all the machines it will take me forever (40 something machines)  and there is also an additional problem of getting access to the buildings.

smb.conf to follow

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = CST
   netbios name = csta
   hosts allow = 129.78. 10.1.
   server string = "College"
   guest account = nobody
   security = user
   guest account = nobody
   security = user
   password level = 4
   browseable = yes
   wins support = yes
   ;wins server = 129.78.a.b
   ;wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = yes

   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   ;domain admin group = @root
   remote announce = 129.78.c.d
   remote browse sync = 129.78.a.b

   preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no

   load printers = yes
   printing = sysv

  load printers = yes
   printing = sysv

   print command = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbprint %s

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

   max log size = 50

   ; (Previously was) socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   domain logons = yes
   logon path = \\csta\profiles\%U\profile
   logon script = scripts\startup.bat

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home/%U
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   writable = yes

   read only = no
   writable = yes
   invalid users = root

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
[netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = yes
   writelist = johnt

[profiles]
   path =/home/profiles
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   writable = yes
   nt acl support = no

Thanks

Dave Chandraratnam

Being an executioner is really the only way to get a head in this life