[Samba] samba 2.x and password history

Bob Hemedinger rhemedinger at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 13:51:02 GMT 2002

I have password history configured in my
/etc/pam.d/system-auth file, however password history
is not being written to /etc/security/opasswd when a
user changes his/her password. It looks like when
samba invokes the passwd command as root, my pam
configuration is ignored... or at least the portion
that is supposed to maintain password history.

I suspect that this is more of an os-level issue
instead of a samba issue, but does anyone have any
thoughts about how to force pam to write the old
password to the password history file when a samba
user changes his/her password?