[Samba] Samba and *groan* Windows XP Home problems!

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Tue Aug 6 11:59:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 14:17, Jay Ts wrote:
> Your Samba server is set up as a PDC to implement
> a Windows NT domain.  Unfortunately, you need
> Windows XP **Professional** to be able to work
> with NT domains.  That is one of very few differences
> between the Home and Pro versions.
>
> Try implementing share mode security, using
>
> 	[global]
> 		security = share
>
> Or, try Samba's "user mode" security:
>
> 	[global]
> 		security = user

This shouldn't be necessary. Even though XP Home cannot participate in
the domain like its NT cousin's neither can the 3.x or 9x/ME line yet
all should be able to use a properly setup share with the correct
username/password combo.
I'm guessing (truly) the main problem is the "username = andyw" line for
the share in smb.conf. This is possibly in effect saying the user must
be this exact "andyw" and therefore any system that can't be a full
domain member could never logon as that exact "andyw", even though the
username/password combo is otherwise valid.
The more I think about it I would just remove the last three lines of
the his posted smb.conf just to see if it works.
The security mode should already be set to "user" (the default) and I
believe this is necessary for Samba to act as a PDC so it shouldn't be
changed.

Chris

--
'Nix MS - Just Say .NyET