[Samba] Samba 2.2.4 - files have disappeared!

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Aug 6 09:36:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Kris Kelley wrote:

> and this person has not accessed his account since Saturday (7/20).  It
> really seems like the attempted move of new messages from the "new"
> directory to the "cur" directory failed somehow, resulting in the
> messages disappearing altogether!
>
> Is this a known issue with either Samba 2.2.4 or the Samba code present
> in Red Hat's release of kernel 2.4.9-34?  If so, are there any
> workarounds?  I really need to ensure this will not happen again,
> because we do not want to get in the habit of losing people's emails!

smbfs has some known problems with the same file being opened by multiple
clients or on the client and the server. It's really hard to tell what
happened from your description (can you repeat it?).

Do I understand you correctly that the mail software is running on linux,
but stores the files on the windows box? Couldn't you store the files
locally on the linux box instead and have the windows users connect
to a samba server?

/Urban