[Samba] problems mounting smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Aug 6 09:16:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Nelson, Mark wrote:

> found it.
>
> even tho smbmnt is in my $PATH   /usr/sbin/
> I put a symlink in /usr/bin pointing to /usr/sbin/smbmnt
> and it fixed the issue.

It doesn't matter what your $PATH is. When mount is run it resets the PATH
to a known safe value (mount is setuid so it should be paranoid). The
issue isn't which path you have set, but which path mount has when it
runs the mount.smbfs command.

And also that the installation package you used didn't put smbmnt into
BINDIR which is where smbmount looks first.

> 2 days for this.. lol..

It's not my fault that people run into problems when I am on vacation :)

But this is a pretty common error (given a faulty rpm package from
somewhere), and a google on the error message gives plenty of
useful hits.

This response is of course mostly for the benefit of the next person that
runs into this when I'm not around.

/Urban