[Samba] Samba and *groan* Windows XP Home problems!

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at ChevronTexaco.com
Tue Aug 6 09:04:04 GMT 2002

Did you check the log file entries to see if anything was being
generated (a permission denied message, etc.)

/var/log/samba/.. somewhere under there.

Try to connect then on your linux box:  'find /var/log/samba -mmin -2'
to see logs that have been touch recently.  Peruse those for messages

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy - SMB [mailto:samba at hillway.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 10:02 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Samba and *groan* Windows XP Home problems!

Hi,

This has probably been covered before but after 4 hours of searching I'm
nearly at the point of throwing my XP machine out of the window!!
I have set up Samba (v 2.2.5) on my Red Hat 7.1 box. From the Red Hat box I
can see all the other computers on the network (other Linux machines, Win2k,
Windows ME and my Windows XP box), and get access to the shared drives on
them. The linux box can also use the printers attached to the XP box.....

My problem is that I can't get the XP box to connect to my Red Hat machine.
It can see the machine on the network, it can even see the share, but when I
try to access it, I get a username/password prompt.  No matter what Username
and password I use nothing seems to work.

I have done the "requiresignorseal" registry thing. Below is my smb.conf....

I also can't connect from Windows ME, but this isn't so important! BTW Win2K
is fine!!

Please help... before I loose all my hair and have to replace my office
window :)

=======smb.conf===========
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from voyager (127.0.0.1)