[Samba] Can't Cange password

Emmanuel Copin emmanuel.copin at ladbrokes.be
Tue Aug 6 02:53:01 GMT 2002

>On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Rajesh Prakasan wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>    I can't change the password from the client machine, either from
>>windows NT/2000/98/XP. It is giving the error invalid OLD PASSWORD. But
>>the Old password is correct. What will be error? pls help me.
>>
>Hi all, hope it will help for my first post. I'm using RedHat 7.1 and samba 2.2.5

I'm on it about a week and finally yes all my workstations are able to
change their passwords (both windows and microsoft networking one)
after reading 3 month of mailing-list I took every good things of them
and putted them in my samba.conf

maybe there is something related to the password chat syntax.
generally it will be:
* passwd chat = *old password* %o\n *new password* %n\n *new password*
%n\n *changed**
on RedHat try :*
passwd chat =  *new password* %n\n *new password* %n\n *updated**

but really, i'm not sure it have an impact.

this will have a big importance (i think so) the localhost and your subnet
hosts allow  = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
be sure that
encrypt password = Yes
update encrypted = No
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwrd %u