[Samba] Print Properties will not open on a Samba shared printer

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Aug 5 10:02:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Jason Corekin wrote:

> I finally got my drivers to upload to the print$ share by using the
> add_print_package.pl script form imprints, and I was able to attach the
> driver to the printer created with SWAT (the rpc command: addprinter
> does not work) by using the rpc command: setdriver.  So at this point
> whenever I connect a client to the machine it no longer asks about
> trying to find a driver. However when I go to open the properties page
> for the printer the message "Function address 0x6062e728 caused a
> protection fault. (exception code 0x0000005) Some or all property
> page(s) may not be displayed." from Windows, and then nothing else is
> displayed.  I am trying to share out an HP Color Inkjet CP1700 printer.

I think the problem a NULL devmode.  I've spent hours with this
driver and we've gotten some bug reported in with the develoepers
on it.  Try setting "default devmode = yes" for this printer only.
And then see if you can open the properties.  First thing to do
after this is to change the page orientation from portrait to landscape
and back again (hit apply or ok in between).  This will get the NT client
to generate a valid devmode for the printer.

> I am using Redhat Linux 7.3 and Samba 2.2.5 with the
> srv_spoolss_nt.patch patch and the parse_sec.patch patch and the clients
> I have tried so far have been Windows XP boxes, although we do have Win
> 2k boxes that will use the same driver as well. When I have the clients
> just install drivers locally the printer work fine.  What is going on
> with this?

Hope this helps.

cheers, jerry