[Samba] Saving & Upgrading Samba domain data.

Hesham S. Ahmed zlinux2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 03:12:02 GMT 2002

Yes if you backup the /etc/samba directory and restore
it to a newly installed samba you'll get your settings
back. Specifically you need the following files

smbpasswd - All user account info
MACHINE.SID - SID of the machine
secrets.tdb - Domain SID's and other stuff
smb.conf - configuration file (ofcourse)
lmhosts - only if using static hostname resolution
any user map files
any login scripts

This is if you are NOT using LDAP for storing user
info or you have backup ldap databases and
configuration files as well.

HSA