[Samba] locking db corruption with 2.2.5?

Robert Stuart Robert.Stuart at qsa.qld.edu.au
Mon Aug 5 01:14:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

We are running Samba 2.2.5 on RedHat 7.3 rebuild with ldap support.  We
run Win2k Terminal Server, which provides most of the clients for the
samba server.

After a fairly long samba server up time (usually a couple of days, but
this happened overnight), we end up with some odd entries in the
smbstatus output in the "Locked files:" area....

Here is one line of the type I mean:

Locked files:
Pid    DenyMode   Access      R/W        Oplock           Name
5890   DENY_NONE  0x20089     RDONLY     NONE             .^W   Mon Aug

Note the funny .^W in the name field.

When this happens, there usually is a lot of locks with the same funny
characters.

When this is happening, people get all sorts of strange locking errors,
typically not being able to save the document at all on the samba
server, or only on particular drives; saving to local drives works.

A samba restart (overnight) seems to fix these errors for a while, but
they come back.

Any ideas?

--
Robert Stuart