[Samba] read/write problem - access denied - Red Hat 7.3 - XP connection

Jeroen jeroen at sitesandsuch.com
Sun Aug 4 03:55:02 GMT 2002

Hi there,

I successfully connected a windows XP machine with my samba server (red
Hat 7.3, samba version 2.2.3a) using SWAT.

Problem is that the files on the share aren't writeable as I would
expect. Instead, they're only visible as read only. What am I
overlooking.

Underneath my config file.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from linux (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/08/04 12:57:20

# Global parameters
[global]
      workgroup =
      netbios name = SERVER
      server string = Samba Server
      interfaces = 192.168.0.10
      encrypt passwords = Yes
      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
      passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
      log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
      dns proxy = No
      hosts allow = 192.168.0.
      printing = lprng

[data]
      comment = Data op Linuxserver
      path = /data
      write list = jeroen, astrid
      read only = No

I've added 'writeable = yes' in the share part. But that didn't work
either.

What am I doing wrong. I think its something small. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jeroen