[Samba] Re:Samba] NT, 2000, and XP can print - 9x can't!

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Fri Aug 2 10:50:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 13:37, Vince Warde wrote:
I almost skipped your mail since my spam checker flagged it...
> SPAM: -------------------- Start SpamAssassin results ----------------------
> SPAM: This mail is probably spam.  The original message has been altered
> SPAM: so you can recognise or block similar unwanted mail in future.
> SPAM: See http://spamassassin.org/tag/ for more details.
> SPAM:
> SPAM: Content analysis details:   (6.7 hits, 5 required)
> SPAM: Hit! (0.5 points)  Subject has an exclamation mark
> SPAM: Hit! (1.1 points)  BODY: Contains a tollfree number
> SPAM: Hit! (3.0 points)  URI: Uses a dotted-decimal IP address in URL
> SPAM: Hit! (2.1 points)  BODY: FONT Size +2 and up or 3 and up
> SPAM:
> SPAM: -------------------- End of SpamAssassin results ---------------------
>
> --=====================_296186633==_
>
> I work exclusively in the area of small LANS (5-10 machines max) where
> security is not a major issue.  Therefore I have always created simple
> smb.conf files with share based security.  I am also a newbee to Linux -
> most of my experience has been with SAMBA.
>
> Re: My current problem, I have set up the system with both open and root
> only shares.  All clients can view and write to the open folder shares.  I
> have also tried to make the printer available to everyone - but only the NT
> based clients (NT4.0, 2000, XP) can print!  9x clients can see the printer,
> they can connect to it and/or capture it, but no matter what settings I use
> on the client side the print process locks up.
>
> As you might expect, I am using client side drivers.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The smb.conf file follows.
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Vince Warde
>
> SAMBA Version 2.2.1a
this is quite old now ...
you should consider upgrading to 2.2.5 (where various printing problem
have been fixed)

      guest account = root
uh this is a BAD idea

everything else looks reasonable

you need to examine your logs (after increasing log level) to see what
is happening when the 98box tries to print.

are the permissions on /var/log/samba appropriate

did you try a map to guest = bad user parameter?

brad