[Samba] NetBIOS problems in presence of audio stream?

Chris Smith chris at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Aug 2 09:40:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 12:20, tombork at web.de wrote:
> > An "NT" name, would be considered by most, the same as the NetBIOS name.
> > When one names an NT box it is the NetBIOS name. Same is actually true
> > of Windows 2000 and later, the hostname is still the NetBIOS name even
> > though in a Windows 2000 AD domain the FQDN is used as the primary
> > naming convention along with its resolution tools (DNS) as opposed to
> > the NetBIOS name and its tools (WINS).
>
> you are talking about different name spaces. If you are configured a DNS-Name like "aaa" in properties of TCP/IP for your ethernet-card and a NETBIOS-name of "bbb" in properties of My_computer in NT/w2k/xp, then you have different names.
>
> It is not recommended but you can do this. And you can do this also with samba, see "netbios name" in smb.conf.

Yes, on either platform you can make them different, but I agree that it
is not a recommended procedure. In Windows you have to do extra work to
make them different, a simple installation and setup will otherwise
result in the default situation as explained.
I was basically questioning the recent post recommending to "Make
certain your server netbios name is not the same as your NT or www
name", as it diverges from our above agreement.

Chris

--
'Nix MS - Just Say .NyET