[Samba] Canot find host

Chris Mason masonc at masonc.com
Fri Aug 2 09:00:27 GMT 2002

I ave a several windows 2K workstations in a local network, and I am
using Samba 2.2.4 on a Redhat 7.2 server for file storage and DNS.
Sometimes I cannot connect from one workstation to another although I
can see that it exists. If I type "Net view" I get a list of hosts and I
can reach some but not others.
Samba is setup to be the preferred master and I am not using a domain
controller.
Since there is no WINS server I take it that name resolution is by
broadcast. I would like to be able to use DNS for name resolution but as
I use DHCP I don't see a way to make this work. I don't want to use
static IPs for all machines, currently on the DNS server and the gateway
have static addresses.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need WINS or can I use DHCP, is there
something I am not doing that would make broadcast work?
How is it that a workstation can see all the hosts but cannot view the
shares on some of them.

Chris Mason
masonc at masonc.com
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
Talk to me in real time:
Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759