[Samba] Local device name already in use

Vicky Clarke vclarke at frontier.co.uk
Fri Aug 2 08:59:48 GMT 2002

I'm seeing errors accessing samba shares accompanied by the message "The
local device name is already in use" fairly frequently on several machines
around our building. It doesn't seem to happen with NT shares. Our NT logon
script executes a 'net use' command to map the Samba share as a network
drive; is this just a symptom of a share already being manually mapped on
that machine, or could there be other reasons for it?

Thanks,
Vicky Clarke