[Samba] CD-RW Sharing

jimgoode at quixnet.net jimgoode at quixnet.net
Fri Aug 2 08:51:02 GMT 2002

I am trying to share a CD-RW from the samba server (SuSE Linux 7.3, kernel
2.4.10) using Samba that came with the distribution.

I am using user level sharing and have successfully shared out disk shares
with both r and rw access. I can also access the CD-ROM and CD-RW in read
mode and even do an installation from the CD-ROM to a client.

When I try to create a CD using CD-RW, I get the following error while
trying to save Image.ISO:
\\sambaserver\cdrw\Image.ISO
Cannot access this file.
Check security privileges over the network drive.

Any suggestions on what I may have missed regarding security?

PS - I have also noticed that the "root preexec mount ..." command in the
smb.conf works but that the "root postexec umount ..." command does not.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim

jimgoode at quixnet.net