[Samba] SUQ: Share permissions

Sorisio,Chris ChrisSorisio at PeakTechnical.com
Fri Aug 2 07:07:04 GMT 2002

Åke,

Thanks for the tip.  That appears to have resolved my issue.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Åke Holmlund [mailto:holm at informatik.umu.se]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 9:47 AM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Cc: ChrisSorisio at PeakTechnical.com
Subject: RE: [Samba] SUQ: Share permissions

Hello.

In Unix, a user with write permissions in a directory can create, rename
and delete ANY file or directory within the main directory. The permissions
on the idividual files/directorys doesn't matter!

What You CAN do is to set the sticky bit (chmod +t) on the main directory.
If the sticky bit is set, only the owner of a file/directory can remove
and/or rename it. This is perhaps not exactly what You want but may be
sufficient.

/ÅH

Ps. I'm a Solaris user but i beleve it's the same in other Unix/Linux
systems.