[Samba] SUQ: Share permissions

Sorisio,Chris ChrisSorisio at PeakTechnical.com
Thu Aug 1 13:07:24 GMT 2002

After parsing through the various bits of available documentation, I'm
forced to bow before the group and ask the following Silly User Question:

While I can create and set NT ACLs on files/folder, anything in the root of
the share can be deleted by any user who has access to that share.  I've
munged something in my file permissions.  What /should/ the file permissions
for a root share directoy be set to, and who should own it - root, a created
'samba' user..?

Ex:

[backup]
        path = /mnt/share/backup
        valid users = @"DEAD\Puppies"
        read only = No

What UNIX account should own /mnt/share/backup, and what should the UNIX
file permissions be set to?

Thanks,

Chris