[Samba] how to become poweruser?

Greg J. Zartman greg at leiinc.com
Thu Aug 1 08:22:02 GMT 2002

> I know this used to be true, for NT 4.0 users, but as far as I know, the
> 'Standard' User is fine on 2000.  I have yet to find any apps that won't run

The version of windows (i.e., Win2k vs WinNT4.0 vs WinXP) has nothing to
do with this issue.  The issue is with the developer writing the
software.  If the app is question tries to do something that violates
the windows security model, then the app won't be allowed to do it if
the user doesn't have appropriate privileges under that model.  Many
third party apps will currently cause problems when logged in as a
standard user.  For example, try to load up AutoCAD or Quickbooks as a
standard user.

99% of the problems with third party apps can be cured if a user is
logged in as a power user.  Since Samba 2.2.x doesn't support windows
groups, you have to get a little creative.

I tried to put some of this to paper several months back in a howto,
located here:
http://www.softwaredynamics.biz/support/howto/sambasecurityhowto/

My hope was that folks would read this and help me to update and make it
better (I know just enough about Windows and Samba to be dangerous).  So
far, no one has said a word about it.

Regards,

Greg Zartman, PE
Vice-President