[Samba] User directory shares with Samba, Winbind, and Win2k domain - help deparately needed!

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Thu Aug 1 01:17:02 GMT 2002

Hey,

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:22:44 -0700
"Daniel Curry" <dcurry at cariocas.com> wrote:

main problem are the standard Posix permissions. If you are migrating from
Windows or Novell, you are pretty stuck here and you have to re-structure
your permissions.

But help is near, you can patch your kernel with filesystem ACLs and I
hope it will not be long until they are included in the vanilla
kerneltree. There must be a wealth of threads on that subject in this
list.

The Samba-shares themselves are offering much more ways to build
permissions, here you should have no problem to implement your old
structure.

> I have moved folders from the old Win2k file server to this new file
> server.  I need to re-create the same permissions that the Win2k file
> server had for the users.  The users were in groups, based upon
> departments.  Each department head had RW priv to the department share
> and RO on each user's sub directory.  Each user, of course, had RW on
> their own dirs.  The Department dir/share was RO to the world.
>
> I would like to recreate this, but am not certain how to, considering
> the combination of Win2k Domain groups and users with unix/linux users
> and groups.

Hm, while running winbind, you should have your windows users and groups
on your Linux box. You can work with them as you would with local users.

Goetz