[Samba] smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt

Abdij Bhat Abdij.Bhat at kshema.com
Tue Apr 30 11:05:18 GMT 2002

Hi,
 I am deploying samba for an embedded system. The requirement is that the
system should be able to mount windows share points. I believe "smbmount,
smbumount and smbmnt" components are needed to do the same. I am not very
clear about smbmnt though!
 I find that smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt are all quite huge. Around 300
to 400Kb each.
 I understand that Samba is capable of doing complex things. However if all
i need is the ability to mount and unmount share points do i need this big a
smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt?
 Also whenever i choose SMB_FS support in the Kernel configuration, i am
forced to choose the NLS. Do i really need it? How can i do without it? Also
the smbmount demands codepage.850, codepage-def.850, unicode_map.850,
unicode_map.ISO8859-1 files. I have not provided the same in my embedded
development environment. Funnily, although it complains that the above files
were not found, it works fine! What does this mean? What are its
implications? Can i do without these too?

 My target is MIPS running on Linux. I could not compile Samba for MIPS
directly. However after some jugglery i changed my Makefile and it compiled
me smbmount, smbumount and smbmnt. Now smb works on my target system too.
However the file size is huge [801, 815 and 797 Kb]. How can i reduce this?

 Any help regarding the same would he great.

 Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks and Regards,
Abdij