[Samba] Oplock breaks.

Thierry ITTY thierry.itty at besancon.org
Tue Apr 30 04:10:03 GMT 2002

A 06:36 29/04/02 -0700, vous avez écrit :
>Can do.. I'll turn off and report in a week if it helps.
>
>I get the impression from this message board that oplocks are a bad idea,
>overall. They are only really good, they say, for serving static files to
>clients. I would turn them off unless you have a good reason to use them.
>
>On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:13:15AM -0300, Pablo Alcaraz wrote:
>> I get this errors too in Samba on Linux kernel 2.4.16 with/without acl
>> of bestbits.
>>
>> The problem is whith clients accessing from wondows 2000 workstation
>> using a Visual Basic 16 bits application to Foxpro 2.5 files.
>>
>> Any Idea?

didn't read this full thread, but oplocks have been a pain to me in a full
windows environment with shared access or windev databases, so we had to
finally disable oplocks on all our file servers (see m$ Q129202 if i
remember well).

in a few words (and it's what i understand), an oplock allows a single user
to locally (on the client machine) cache a file, giving him better
performance. as soon a second user requests an access to the file, this
oplock is broken and the cache data invalidated (of course the second use
is not granted an oplock). with an increasing number of users accessing the
same shares, oplocks have a shorter lifetime, until a point where the
handling costs (much) more than the benefits. this is of course true in a
file shared database system (access, windev...), and as soon as you have
some user sharing such a database it's recommanded that you disable oplocks
on the server.

this should obviously be true with a samba server, with no shame !!!

Bien sûr que je suis perfectionniste !
Mais ne pourrais-je pas l'être mieux ?
	Thierry ITTY
eMail : Thierry.Itty at Besancon.org		FRANCE