[Samba] 2.2.3a PDC/Win2K, again

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Apr 29 23:32:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Bob Sully wrote:

> Hey all -
>
> Still working my way through setting up my first Samba PDC.  All the
> clients are W2K, with one XP pro.  Everything looks OK when firing up
> Samba; testparm is clean, winbindd is running.  However, trying wbinfo
> -u or -g returns an error ("Error looking up domain users").  Trying to
> join the domain from a W2K workstation goes OK until it asks for a
> username/password which may join the domain.  When I give it one (my
> "regular" username and pwd on the Linux box and the same Windoze
> machine), it comes back with the dreaded white-on-red "X" and the error
> message:

You don't need winbindd if you are running a samba based PDC.
Winbind allows native NT accounts to be visible to the linux machine.

So in short if your runnign a samba PDC then turn off winbindd.

I can't actually help you set up the PDC as I've never done it BUT at least
you now have one less area to look for problems.

Yours Tony.

/*
 * --Albert Einstein
 */