[Samba] Silence is golden

Pierre Belanger pbelang1 at oss.cantel.rogers.com
Mon Apr 29 03:51:02 GMT 2002

"Marlow, Robin" wrote:

> Hello,
>         We now have our samba server up & running. But it's on an old
> machine with an awfully loud harddrive. Pre-samba most of the time the box
> was idle & the harddrive managed to go into standby - thus sparing us from
> the din. When samba is running (even if no users are accessing shares) there
> are accesses every 5  mins or so - keeping the drive spinning continuously.

Your machine is old, what about the harddrive? If it's old too you
should
keep it running otherwise it might break quite earlier.

> I've redirected the log files to /dev/null & set log level = 0  & syslog
> only = 0. But it is still happening.  Apart from killing syslogd - has
> anyone any ideas?

When you stop samba, the drive does go off?

I guess you're running Linux...

1- Have you tried to do a "strace" on your Samba processes to see what
they
   are doing?
2- You can perhaps do a few "ls -lu" in a few directories, like the
locks
   directory, the logs, etc.
   The "-u" shows the last access time on each of your files. You can
even
   cd in the samba directory and do : ls -lRu | grep "Apr 29 12" which
would
   show file changed on Apr 29 between 12:00pm and 12:59pm...
   Depending on your Linux distribution, etc. Files might be hanging
   around in /var/..., /etc, /everywhere ...

By the way, if this is a server ... spend 200$ and get another hard
drive,
you'll get 80GB at that price ;)

Pierre B.