[Samba] Samba only spooling half my print files :-(

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Apr 28 19:21:02 GMT 2002

You don't seem to have gotten many replies.

There are two places a file from a windows client goes.  First, is the
spool directory specified in smb.conf. It is usually removed after
the print command is invoked, but, if you modify your print command
in smb.conf, the file will be retained in the spool directory that you
specify in smb.conf. So, change your print command in smb.conf to lpr
-Pprintqueue %s. Don't use the remove option or have a rm %s as part of
your print command. You could also just use a bogus command like:

echo I was called at `date` to print file %J > ~/flag.file

Then you can see just what was sent to the spool directory.

After lpr is invoked, the file is transferred to the spool directory
specified by sd in /etc/printcap. It will be in, I THINK a df file. You
could just turn off lpd, I think, and that file will be retained, rather
than printed. (Notice the "I thinks" scattered through this suggestion.) I
am not sure if a file is ever split between two df files.

Joel