[Samba] Home share stay in list - workaround

abartlet at samba.org abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 28 01:48:02 GMT 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:36:37PM +0200, Ivan Gustin wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I found a workaround for the problem I mentioned before.
>
> I renamed [homes] section to [personal], and set 'browseable = yes'. This
> change wouldn't create new share for each logged user and produce so many
> shares from user's name, but will create the same share name each time with
> different user's home path.
>
> With this, share has always the same name, but points to each user's home
> directory, without producing so many shares. The only disadvantage is that
> user's home directory is not displayed as user's login name, but always is
> named 'personal'. IMHO, that will be less confusing to dumb users (lost in
> finding his or her short login username).

The main problem with this is when it is used with 'mutliuser clients'.  This
is particularly NT/Win2k terminal server, but also affects 'single user' NT/Wink2
with sequential logins.

The issue comes from the way %U etc macro expansion works.  (Which is a bit
weird).  In partricular NT keeps connections around, and resues them.

> And that's work fine for me. What do you think on this workaround?

As I said,