[Samba] Home share stay in list - workaround

Ivan Gustin ivan.gustin at pu.tel.hr
Sat Apr 27 14:38:03 GMT 2002

Hi again,

I found a workaround for the problem I mentioned before.

I renamed [homes] section to [personal], and set 'browseable = yes'. This
change wouldn't create new share for each logged user and produce so many
shares from user's name, but will create the same share name each time with
different user's home path.

With this, share has always the same name, but points to each user's home
directory, without producing so many shares. The only disadvantage is that
user's home directory is not displayed as user's login name, but always is
named 'personal'. IMHO, that will be less confusing to dumb users (lost in
finding his or her short login username).

So, instead previous:
--------------------
[homes]
        comment = Personal directory of user %U
        read only = no
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
--------------------

I use now:
--------------------
[personal]
        path = /home/%U
        comment = Personal directory of user %U
        read only = no
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes

And that's work fine for me. What do you think on this workaround?

--
Ivan Guštin, ivan at elin.hr, (098) 366-346
ELIN Elektronika i informatika, www.elin.hr, (052) 623-491