[Samba] samba ports blocked by isp

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-sambatech at litech.org
Fri Apr 26 06:44:02 GMT 2002

Win2k and WinXP will automatically try to connect to port 445 in addition
to port 139.  Earlier versions of Windows like NT, ME, 9x aren't able to
use port 445 at all.

To use port 445 with smbd, you need to put an entry in /etc/inetd.conf
that looks liks this:

microsoft-ds stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd smbd

Make sure the path is right, and *don't* use the -D flag!  Also, if you
don't have microsoft-ds in your /etc/services, you'll need to add it as
tcp/445.

If you don't have inetd, you probably have some replacement like xinetd or
rlinetd, and you need to figure those out yourself.  :-)  -Nathan